[Marxism] The citizenship of kelpers

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun May 1 08:52:34 MDT 2005

Shane M. asks:

"Why shouldn't they [kelpers] have the option of dual citizenship?"

A good question.  But ask it to a kelper, not to me.

My own answer is:  any Argentinean citizen has a right to opt for a
dual citizenship.  Many, in fact, do.

But kelpers themselves answer that they _don't_ want dual
citizenship, that they reject Argentinean citizenship.

That is, they live where they live (BTW, quite a hard place to live
in, where it rains 400 days a year, according to Aldous Huxley, read
"Brave New World" --I think Huxley wanted to be friendly to the
islands) due to a colonial usurpation and don't want to accept the
fact that they are usurpers.  Argentina follows the "ius solis", that
is the "right of the birthplace", not the arcaic "ius sanguinis",
that is the "right of the bloodline". Anyone born on Argentinean land
is Argentinean by our law. Now, this is exactly what the kelpers
reject.

They state it bluntly:  we are British citizens, we want to remain
such, we want to have nothing with Argentineans, even though they
claim to be the real owners of the land.

We must, then, state it bluntly ourselves: all right, kelpers, then
go to British land.  You are on other people's land.  That's all that
there is to this issue.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Aparicio Saravia