[Marxism] reply to Joaquin

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 1 11:41:27 MDT 2005

rrubinelli wrote:
>Certainly the history of the anti-war movement in the 60s and 70s, its
>practical dissipation in its inability to make the transition from a
>"single issue" protest, to a project for class struggle, should be the
>outstanding lesson.

I don't think it was reasonable to expect SANE/Freeze, The Woman's Strike
for Peace, the UAW, Fellowship of Reconciliation, the War Resisters League
et al to be involved in a project for class struggle in the 60s and 70s..
These mass organizations did, however, have the capacity to mobilize tens
of thousands of supporters in the street. We have to figure out a way to
involve powerful forces such as these today so as to make the occupation of
Iraq as difficult as possible. The "project for class struggle" has to come
from more radicalized sectors, but I am afraid that unless they prove their
mettle today by acting as a lever for more powerful--if more
moderate--social sectors, they will not be an important part of the
"project for class struggle" that lies in the future when the working class
begins to act as an independent political force. Ending the occupation of
Iraq is an acid test for the left today.