[Marxism] Left Hook Summer Fund Drive

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Mon May 2 15:19:41 MDT 2005

Latest Release: Monday, May 2, 2005

Summer Fund Drive

The Editors

Dear /Left Hook/ readers,

This May marks our 18th month of online publication, and the beginning
of our third semi-annual fund drive. As a radical, independent journal
produced by and aimed at American youth, we have always strived to not
only expose the injustices perpetrated by the Right, but also to
highlight, encourage, and develop the efforts of young leftists who are
trying to turn the tide in favor of a more humane world.

In recent months, we at /Left Hook /have stepped up our efforts. We
provided a continuous stream of analysis unveiling the agenda of wealthy
pro-Israel front groups conducting a witch-hunt against Arab professors
at Columbia University. We also helped mobilize students for the
important March 19th anti-war demonstrations in collaboration with
others, and offered sober critiques in its aftermath.
Counter-recruitment activism across college campuses, crucial both
politically and symbolically, has been frequently covered here as well.

These are just three examples taken from a general overall trend –
namely, an increase in our updates and more varied content in the broad
range of areas we cover – domestic and foreign politics, activist ground
reports, interviews, cultural pieces, theory, and historical analysis.
These efforts have, in turn, also increased our readership. In April of
2004, we received 275 visitors per day, totaling 8, 258 visits for the
month. This April, we received our highest sustained number of visitors
for any month so far: 880 per day, for a total of 26,432 visits. Numbers
of subscribers to our youth discussion list and general information list
are also at all-time highs.

Hopefully, you too have taken note of the improving quality and
diversity of our content. If you have enjoyed our journal and appreciate
its efforts, please show your support
<http://www.lefthook.org/Donations.html> by making a financial
contribution. For this Summer Fund Drive, we are setting the goal of
$3,500. All in all, it’s a pretty modest sum compared to the
$127,000,000 the pro-war Democrats solicited last year in under-$200
individual donations. We want to launch a number of essay contests for
youth, purchase recording equipment for more interviews with anti-war
GIs and other activists, acquire more web-space to make way for audio
content, and make it possible to produce more and better material to our
growing audience.

/Left Hook/ strives to raise and deepen the political consciousness of
American youth so that we may salvage our future from the devastating
effects of capitalism at home and imperialism abroad. But we have none
of the outside backing, prestigious grants, or institutional funding
bestowed upon those who are paid to carry out and justify this
devastation. Ultimately, it is you, our readers, who will determine
whether or not this project stays alive and grows during these
politically vital times. Without your support, we cannot succeed.

So please make a donation <http://www.lefthook.org/Donations.html> today.

Sincerely,
Derek Seidman and M. Junaid Alam