[Marxism] Re: The citizenship of kelpers

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Tue May 3 04:24:53 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lueko Willms" <l.willms at jpberlin.de>

>   BTW, why and where this appellation "kelpers"? Is that really the
>main occupation of the people there, gathering and processing kelp?

kelp
1663, from M.E. culpe (1387), of unknown origin. Kelper "native or
inhabitant of the Falkland Islands" is attested from 1960.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kelp

Althought I feel the explanation is surprisingly lack for an etymological
dictionary...

Here is the goods:

Kelper
A small fishing boat lacking much of the gear found on larger troll boats.
It can be towed by a trailer and usually fishes in areas that are rocky,
close to shore, kelp ridden, and have strong currents.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/pacificfisheries/glossary.html

So "kelper" is the name of a boat used for shore fishing in areas similar to
the Malvinas. The name comes, most probably, from this boat and not from
gathering and processing kelp, although calcified seaweed is an industry.

As to what they fish, squid accounts for 75% of their total intake, but the
bulk of their industrial fishing revenue is from licensing.

Data:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fk.html
(eat me)

sks