[Marxism] Re: From Marxmail home (Clancy Sigal and Frida)

rrubinelli rrubinelli at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 11:00:36 MDT 2005

Well, I didn't, like Frida, one bit.  Really.  Since the film tries to be a synthesis of commerce and art,
take Salma out of it and try selling it.  No way.  Not even as an "art film."  Not even to the cult
of Kahloists.  Bad acting, bad script.

And Trotsky a "more literary Stalin"?  Seems to me Clancy may have read some Trotsky but
has understood very little of what he read, and even less of the historical forces at work
in and on the Russian Revolution.  Maybe now that he's not a boy he should give it another read.

He says re Trotsky-- "What authoritarianism"  which is exactly my question to him "What
authoritarianism?"

It's a bad movie, using pity and pathos even as Kahlo herself rejects them.

rr