[Marxism] Re: frida

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 3 17:07:38 MDT 2005

Clancy Sigal wrote:
>Louis, thanks for forwarding Gould the bookseller's gentle comment on
>Frida.  He got it exactly.   A pleasure.  Ask him if he has a photograph
>of the Rivera mural he put up, I'd love to see it.  Introduction to
>Hollywood Reality 101: it took l4 years to get Frida from an idea ot the
>screen.  I'm not dealing with the executive board of SWP but hard case
>producers who invest $.  The original director we worked with  was a
>leftwing Mexican but over time the "capitalist pigs", as my wife calls
>them, watered stuff down.  The picture could not have been made without
>the star and the star fired the director who brought her onto the
>project.  Get it?  Don't lift your nose at Hollywood gossip, it's where
>reality begins.  I stand by the Trotsky character; wasn't played very
>well; but what do you think he was doing wit h Frida, discussing l8th
>Brumaire?  all best,
>
>ps you guys Aussies?

Clancy, I am happy that you didn't hold my review of "Frida" against me. I
was not bullshitting you when I said that "Going Away" was the greatest
novel about the 1950s--period. I am working my way through James Atlas's
biography of Saul Bellow for an article on his life and work. Nothing he
wrote, including "Augie March", could hold a candle to your novel. The
thing I like about you, whatever disagreement we have over "Frida", is that
you never sold out. These leftists around Partisan Review who became
neoconservatives are a disgrace. Bob Gould is Australian, but our listserv
subscribers come from all over the world, including Brazil, South Africa,
Russia, India and other far-flung places. We have 730 subscribers now and
our "latest 100 messages" archives gets about 140,000 hits a month. I
invite you to check in on them at: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/maillist.html