[Marxism] the Golden Notebook

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Tue May 3 22:14:19 MDT 2005

I'm glad Louis mentioned Lessing's "Golden Notebook." I haven't read it in probably 10 years, but remember being moved by it -- for its writing style, for its tale of a woman's changing views and resulting changes in her life and relationships, and for its portrayal of a part of the British left.

I can be fairly impressionistic when it comes to lit, but at the very least this novel is an essential document for its time (and for comparison with parallel dynamics in women's liberation and the workers' movement in other times).