[Marxism] Political censorship via spam filtering

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Wed May 4 09:10:32 MDT 2005

Carlos A. Rivera wrote:

> Furthermore, he indicates that all of these messages come from mailing
> lists. As a general rule, messages sent to multiple recipients or
> mailing lists automatically score higher in Spam scores, and from
> there it just requires a little typo here and there and voila, there
> is a "suspected spam".

i have yet to see a case brought to my attention that turned out to be
anything other than garden variety mishandling by an AOL or other ISP.

spam/junk filters come in several varieties. Thunderbird, for example,
uses some seed values for Subject header and then learns as it goes by
what you select and deselect as junk. trained properly, thunderbird does
pretty good.

    http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_thunderbird_5
    http://www.joeyday.com/2003/12/08/bayesian-email-filtering

there is also a probabilistic component to spam filtering, google
"bayesian email filtering"

   http://email.about.com/cs/bayesianfilters/a/bayesian_filter.htm

and there are many debates on the geek web sites on how to most
effectively filter. if you follow these debates you will be fairly
convinced it's the technology and not the gummint that is blocking emails.

eavesdropping on emails, without the sender or receiver knowing about
it? now there's a different story.

i re-iterate an offer made a couple weeks ago: if any of you yahoo.com
or aol.com subscribers want a gmail account, we have enough to spread
around to 100 or so people. write me offlist. but be advised: google
doth scan all emails to do its little advertising thingy.

les schaffer