[Marxism] Jim Craven on Chinese protest against Japanese "revisionism"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 4 15:38:30 MDT 2005

At 10 am this morning, about 500 to 700 people, mostly of Chinese descent
met at the Chinese cultural center in Vancouver, BC to march to the
Japanese consulate to protest cover-ups and revisionism in Japanese
textbooks, to demand that Japan not be seated as a permanent member of the
UN Security Council, reparations for so-called "Comfort Women" and allied
POWs and several other demands.

In anticipation of this demonstration, the Japanese consulate officials
told Japanese citizens and those of Japanese descent to stay off the
streets and claimed it had warnings of intended violence at the
demonstration. The demonstration was entirely peaceful.

I was interviewed by Chinese ethnic press and was asked why I was at this
demonstration. I pointed out that as a Blackfoot, I know very well about
historical revisionism in textbooks and throughout culture in general as
well as about genocide. I also pointed out that the US and Canadian
textbooks are as full of lies as the Japanese ones and that one of the lies
by censorship has to do with the fact that the principal Japanese War
Criminals of Unit 731 and the like were all sheltered from prosecution by
the US Government and placed on CIA payroll and in high positions in the
Japanese government in return for turning over the results of their
barbaric "research."; the same was done with German nazi war criminals.

Those attending were of varying political persuasions including leaflets
from "The Spartacus League" in Chinese language. Also attending were some
NDP hacks jumping in on the issues superficially while soliciting votes as
elections in BC are near.

Jim Craven