[Marxism] Is the blackmail working already? Ottawa to "re-examine" responsibility for social costs of pipeline

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Thu May 5 00:05:17 MDT 2005

Imperial Oil announced the "end" of the Mackenzie Pipeline, and for about 15
minutes, I was elated, dancing about. Then, the scam set in-- this was a
ploy by Imperial oil to force the hand of the colonial state to squash the
unreasonable demands of the colony Deh Cho, who Premier of the NWT stated
recently "What they want is almost sovereignty!"

The government, unless we in the south do something, will not easily allow
the nations national sovereignty, or even, it would appear, "almost
sovereignty".

Macdonald
--

Ottawa to re-examine responsibility for social costs of pipeline: official
By BOB WEBER

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/05/04/1025887-cp.html

EDMONTON (CP) - Ottawa will re-examine who should be responsible for the
social costs of building a Mackenzie Valley pipeline, a federal official
said Wednesday after meetings on how to get the $7 billion project moving
again. "What we need to consider is what are those associated costs and
where does responsibility for those costs lie," said Liseanne Foran,
assistant deputy minister of Indian Affairs.

Foran was in Edmonton for meetings with officials from the Northwest
Territories and proponents of the pipeline.

The meetings came in response to Imperial Oil's decision last week to
suspend some of the preparatory work on the project for the summer.

Imperial Oil criticized both the complexity of the regulatory process and
the demands of aboriginal groups, who want enough money from the project to
be able to mitigate social problems in the small communities of the western
Arctic.

Aboriginal leaders have said they're turning to energy companies for those
funds because they haven't been forthcoming from the government. But Foran
suggested Ottawa may be willing to play a role in mitigating those concerns.

"Part of the work that needs to be done is assessing what is required where
and from whom," Foran said.

"There's no question that money is a big topic between all those talking
about this. We realize that that's one of the issues that all the parties
are grappling with."

In Ottawa, deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan emphasized that aboriginal
groups need to talk to the territorial government about concerns such as
health and job training.

"If you want a hospital or a school, you don't go behind the premier.
They're empowered to deal with those issues," she said.

"If they think they can't afford those infrastructure costs, they may look
somewhere else, to the federal government."

N.W.T. Premier Joe Handley is scheduled to meet McLellan in Ottawa next week.

McLellan also said the government would do what it can to shorten the
timelines for the regulatory process.

"That is one of the things that we're very concerned about," she said.

A senior Indian Affairs bureaucrat was recently put in charge of ensuring
the entire process runs efficiently, said McLellan.

Jim Prentice, the Conservative northern development critic, said the impasse
reflects a failure of leadership on the part of the Liberal government.
Government departments aren't working together, he said.

"We are no further ahead with respect to this pipeline than we were three
years ago," Prentice said. "I think everybody's frustrated.

"Somebody has to take charge of this project and quit passing the buck."
--

Macdonald Stainsby
http://independentmedia.ca/survivingcanada