[Marxism] Are religious resistance groups in Iraq fascist?

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Thu May 5 11:32:09 MDT 2005

metin_sarp at hotmail.com writes:

Are  religious resistance groups in Iraq fascist?

Reply:

At this stage in the history of Iraq, the makeup of the resistance or  its
configuration is immaterial. What matters, the ONLY thing that matters, is  that
there is resistance. When the Nazis occupied Europe during the Second World
War communists, nationalists and other forces joined together in common  cause
against Nazi oppression. In Iraq today the only oppressive force is  the US
military and other so-called coalition forces. Islamic  fundamentalism arose in
defense against the much more virulent and destructive  Christian variety.
Right now there is no working class in Iraq, no class of any  kind - how can
there be when the nation, its economy, is under the control of an  occupying
power? What there is are those resisting and supporting the resistance  against
the occupation, and those who are collaborating with the  occupation.

Once the Iraqis succeed in defeating this occupation, then the struggle for
the makeup of a liberated Iraq can begin. Our role at the present time, if I
may  be so bold, is not to dissect and criticise a people involved in a
struggle for  the future of their country against the most savage and destructive
empire the  world has ever seen. It is instead to work wherever we reside,
particularly in  the US and the UK, to undermine the occupation and aid the Iraqi
people in  whichever way we can to win their liberty.

Joe