[Marxism] GDR (and Polish, Czech) Beer

Alex Briscoe obeynow20001 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 13:01:52 MDT 2005

Actually, at least on the northwest side of Chicago, you can get the original Bud, Czechvar.  There's also Crystal, which I thought was the original Bud, but sovok beer authorities informed me otherwise.  I believe Crystal also comes from Budovice.

There's also Zywiec and Okocim which are primo, cheap, Polish beers.  Zywiec used to have a Polish peasant couple dancing in traditional costume with a forest background, under a gear symbol.  A few years back, the capitalist bastards that took the company back replaced the gear with a crown.

A few months back at Cafe Lura (bar), I started to ask the bartender re Okocim vs other Polish beers and she said, "All the same!" <plonk!>

A couple weekends back at my favorite Polish bar I was drinking with a Polish electrician and an engineer and I introduced them to Warsteiner- they really liked it.  They bought me a shot of dead nazi (Jaegermeister and some gold colored German liquor).  There's a really good herbal vodka best drunk as an iced shot- forget the name, but it's better than Jaegermeister.

Question about east bloc bar etiquette:  do you tip the bartender?  My drink prices seem to include the tip, but I'm not sure.  I don't see all of the patrons tipping, but don't want to be cheap, but if the bartender is already making more than I do...

Alex

http://www.ilgp.org
http://www.thegreenalliance.org
http://www.greens4democracy.net