[Marxism] Re: From Marxmail home (Clancy Sigal and Frida)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 6 16:09:22 MDT 2005

Clancy Sigal wrote:
>Great list.  Where are Birth of a Nation, Way We Were (reds & wasps), The
>Front, Parallex View, Manchurian Candidate, 3 Comrades (Scott Fitzgerald
>wrote), Best Years of our Lives, Gentleman's Agreement, Kinsey (yes),
>Thunder Rock, Fame is the Spur (a must), Ninotchka (funniest movie ever
>made about commies), Missing, Running on Empty, etc?  Clancy

Clancy, these are great suggestions. Will add them to the list, as well as
"Frida"! Plus, there's this other film called "In Love and War" that is
based on Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms that looks really promising based
on comments from idmb.com, where my reviews can be found as well. (The
screenplay was written by some guy named Clancy Sigal.)

---
The film starts by showing a cocky and self-absorbed, 18 years-old, Ernest
(Chris O'Donnell) who is more enthusiastic about being in the war as a
soldier and not as a Red Cross volunteer, than actually realising the
reality of the trenches. As a result he gets wounded the first time he
approaches the front line, and the whole dream of fighting for the common
good collapses for the protagonist. His misfortune, however, turns to his
advantage. In the hospital he meets a stunning, 26 years old nurse, Agnes
von Kurowsky (Sandra Bullock), an American Red Cross volunteer, who manages
to save his wounded leg from amputation. The passion between the two seems
inexistent at the beginning, and Ernie's declaration of love at first site
sounds rather childish. Soon however, Ernie becomes The Kid, and Agnie the
woman that loved him.

After Ernie is sent home, Agnes decided that it was the "Time to think with
the head!" and accepted a marriage proposal from Dr. Caracciolo (Emilio
Bonucci). But, "There was always someone else", and after an eight-month
period Agnes returns to America.

Broken-hearted, matured, and evasive, Ernie lets the time pass slowly
beside him, lets the words of his beloved woman vanish into the stillness
of the forest.

The ending is a memorable one, incredibly moving, and real. Love, pure or
manufactured, it is not always made to bring happiness to those who are
trapped by it.