[Marxism] Restructuring in the AFL-CIO

Joaquín Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Sat May 7 08:48:00 MDT 2005

Jack Cade replied to me from Britain about my astonishment that the AFL-CIO
has a batallion-strength corps of functionaries: "It is the same here.
Amicus, one of the so-called 'mega-unions' has 1.2 million members. It is
merging soon into a 'super union' (with the Transport and General Workers
Union and the GMB--General and Municipal and Boilermakers) . Amicus alone
has about 400 full-time officials."

Well, yes, I would expect unions that administer contracts and provide
services to members to have significant staffs. But the AFL-CIO, the
federation of unions, doesn't do that, that is done by the affiliates, nor
does it organize the unorganized, that is done by the affiliates also. So
what do these people actually do?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joaquín