[Marxism] Clarification on David Graeber

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 9 12:02:40 MDT 2005

Greetings:

I do not think it is possible to change the petition.  The site will not
allow it, and it might create ethical and legal conflicts for those who had
already signed it.  Also, we want to stress that David has the scholarship
and teaching qualifications and so should remain a member of our
department.  Since the people who voted against his have not really given a
reason for doing so, and I doubt they would admit that they don't like his
politics or the fact that he supports student active in union and political
activities.  I think we wanted to avoid enforcing a monological explanation
of why the department chose to not renew his contract, when this is what
normally happens, and, we also wanted to leave the department and
university room to reverse their decision with out looking too stupid.

I hope that helps.  I have also been told that there will be a piece the
zmag web site giving more details of the situation as it develops.

Josh

--

www.marxmail.org