[Marxism] Re: Anti-imperialism?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 9 16:49:13 MDT 2005

"acpollack2 at juno.com" <acpollack2 at juno.com> wrote:
>One way is by having hundreds of thousands in the streets
>peacefully. The wildcats in Lordstown, by the League of
>Revolutionary Black Workers, the postal strike and GE strike, etc.,
>etc., were encouraged -- and vice versa -- by such mass actions.
>
>It's about creating a mood where workers in any given plant see the
>majority sentiment is against the government and the ruling class
>behind it, and thus feeling emboldened to act on the job. The
>mindset is: "yeah, those marchers told Nixon/Bush/whatever to go to
>hell and this morning I'm gonna tell my boss the same."

Yes, but we got a chicken and egg problem here.  How do we get to
hundreds of thousands back in the streets from where we are at?  Fred
Feldman reported on the May Day actions of the IAC/Troops Out
Now/Million Worker March and UFPJ in New York City: the former
attracted only 1,000-1,500 according to organizers' own estimate; and
the latter drew about 10,000-40,000.  If we had millions in the
streets, a simple march and rally would do.  It would be impressive
to look at, and participants would feel empowered.  If we are to have
an event of only "thousands" or "tens of thousands," as opposed to an
event of "hundreds of thousands" or "millions," however, I believe
that we need a lot more creative event than just marching, rallying,
and listening to speakers.  Otherwise, no one will notice that the
anti-war movement exists.  I think that's what Macdonald is getting
at, and I agree with him.
--
Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>