[Marxism] Re: Anti-imperialism?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 9 20:03:15 MDT 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If we are to have
> an event of only "thousands" or "tens of thousands," as opposed to an
> event of "hundreds of thousands" or "millions," however, I believe
> that we need a lot more creative event than just marching, rallying,
> and listening to speakers.  Otherwise, no one will notice that the
> anti-war movement exists.  I think that's what Macdonald is getting
> at, and I agree with him.
> --

The Single-issue mass peaceful demos of the '60s presupposed (a) the
work of SCLC & SNCC in the south, (b) the white organizers energized by
those southern campaigns, (c) the miscellaneous activities of hundreds
of local SDS chapters, (d) the _huge_ casualties in Vietnam (e) the
presence of Vietnam on national TV every night, (f) the riots in the
black ghettoes, (g) the atmosphere and attention created by thousands of
miscellaneous actions (many of them apolitical in intention), (h) 30
years of work by the CP and ex-CP'rs, (i-y) hundreds of things I can't
think of just now, and (z) an SWP that emulated the mad astronomer in
_Rasselas_, who thought his predictions caused the sun to rise each
morning.

The "single-demand" slogan presupposed an arrogant leninist party that
reserved all serious political discussion for itself.

Carrol