[Marxism] Galloway

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Tue May 10 15:59:42 MDT 2005

I won't bother writing to any of the idiots Medialens suggests I write
to, nor would I have voted if I had lived in England, but this
unanimous reactionary contempt for George Galloway MP is
unbelieveable.
Zak.

From: Medialens Media Alerts <noreply at medialens.org> To: Zak Cope
<zakaryc at hotmail.com> Subject: Ambushing Dissent - The BBCs Jeremy
Paxman Interviews George Galloway Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:11:45 UT

MEDIA LENS: Correcting for the distorted vision of the corporate media

May 10, 2005

MEDIA ALERT: AMBUSHING DISSENT - THE BBC’S JEREMY PAXMAN INTERVIEWS
GEORGE GALLOWAY

"The 'societal purpose' of the media is to inculcate and defend the
economic, social and political agenda of privileged groups that
dominate the domestic society and the state." (Edward Herman and Noam
Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent)

Highly-paid presenters have privileged access to 'respectable'
mainstream politicians which they are very keen to maintain. It is
vital that such high-level sources not be seriously alienated or
offended by pertinent, but potentially damaging, questions.
Overlooking obvious truths about mass violence conducted by western
governments, media professionals are expert at cultivating a veneer of
dogged commitment to truth.

Even when being questioned sharply, leading politicians are treated
respectfully with no insinuation that the interviewee is despicable or
malevolent. No such considerations apply, however, when the media
confront “rogues” or “mavericks” who represent a challenge to
established power and the ideology underpinning its brutality. In
these special cases, the doctrinal system requires that threatening
figures be dealt with aggressively, typically with ridicule and
contempt.

Thus, in the early hours of the morning after Britain's May 5 general
election, viewers were treated to a remarkable exchange between the
BBC's principal 'rottweiler', Jeremy Paxman, and George Galloway, the
former Labour MP now with the anti-war Respect party. Galloway had
just deposed the Blairite Labour MP, Oona King, in the Bethnal Green
and Bow constituency of East London.

Galloway's victory was remarkable, overcoming a 10,000 majority in the
face of the full might of New Labour’s political machine. His success
surely reflects the extraordinary level of anti-war feeling in the
country, two years after two million people marched in February 2003 -
the largest political protest in UK history.

The BBC exchange began thus:

Jeremy Paxman: “Mr Galloway, are you proud of having got rid of one of
the very few black women in Parliament?”

George Galloway: “What a preposterous question. I know it's very late
in the night, but wouldn't you be better starting by congratulating me
for one of the most sensational election results in modern history?”

JP: “Are you proud of having got rid of one of the very few black
women in Parliament?”

GG: “I'm not [pause]. Jeremy, move on to your next question.”

JP: “You're not answering that one?”

GG: “No, because I don't believe that people get elected because of
the colour of their skin. I believe people get elected because of
their record and because of their policies. So move on to your next
question.”
(Broadcast BBC Election Night Special, 6 May, 2005; video and
transcript available at:
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article8763.htm)

Paxman's feigned concern for diversity actually rests on the racist
and sexist assumption that candidates should be given special
consideration on account of their colour or gender.

Moments later, Paxman said: "I put it to you Mr Galloway that [former
local government minister] Nick Raynsford had you to a T when he said
you were a 'demagogue'."

As far as we are aware, Paxman has never "put it" to any leading
government minister that he or she is a "demagogue", despite an
abundance of evidence that media-amplified propaganda and demagoguery
enabled the war on Iraq, as well as earlier attacks on Afghanistan and
Serbia. We look forward to Paxman suggesting to Tony Blair in a future
interview: "I put it to you Mr Blair that George Galloway had you to a
T when he said you were a 'war criminal'."

Perhaps other BBC presenters and journalists will also take up the
cause of due impartiality. BBC political editor Andrew Marr will then
confront Blair at his next press conference: "Are you proud to have
won this election on the back of outrageous lies, and an
invasion-occupation in violation of the UN Charter, as suggested even
by your own advisors?"

BBC Radio 4 Today's John Humphrys will no doubt ask Foreign Secretary
Jack Straw: "Are you proud to have won this election at the cost of
100,000 dead people in Iraq and countless hundreds of thousands of
injured, malnourished and diseased civilians?"

His colleague James Naughtie will repeatedly press Chancellor of the
Exchequer Gordon Brown: "Are you proud to have won this election after
funding a war that was belatedly declared illegal by Kofi Annan and
that has led to a major increase in terrorism?"

Expensively Dressed Loudmouth - The Media Go To Work

Over on ITN, European correspondent Juliet Bremner described how
Galloway had secured victory with the use of “virulent anti-war
views” - an interesting concept. (ITN 22:30 News, May 6, 2005)

Prior to the election (12:30 News, May 3), ITN had ambushed Galloway
in a
6-minute interview ostensibly intended to allow the public to pose
questions on Respect party policies. News anchors Nick Owen and Katie
Derham began by asking about the “I salute you” comment Galloway is
alleged to have made to Saddam Hussein in 1994. Anticipating Galloway’s
rejection - he claims he was saluting the Iraqi people, not Saddam -
ITN had a pre-prepared videotape on hand to show the clip in question.

Whereas establishment politicians are to be afforded appropriate
courtesy and respect, the press find it almost impossible to mention
Galloway’s name without employing adjectives like “controversial” and
“maverick”. The consistent focus on personal foibles and alleged
faults also contrasts starkly with coverage afforded to more ‘serious’
politicians.

Thus the Daily Mail noted “the expensively dressed political
maverick's Respect Party snatched the seat which Labour has held since
1945 with a
26.2 per cent swing”. (‘Electrifying moments that lit up the small
hours,’ Daily Mail, May 7, 2005)

The Express reported how “the maverick left-winger clashed with
 Paxman”.
(’Winner George loses it again,’ John Chapman and David Pilditch,
Express, May 7, 2005)

The Sun noted in an article with the breath-takingly ironic title,
‘Maverick “Stirred up racism“:

“Loudmouth George Galloway was accused of stirring up racial tensions
to scrape back into Parliament.” (The Sun, May 7, 2005)

The Times observed: “The latest chapter in the turbulent parliamentary
career of George Galloway, newly elected MP for Bethnal Green & Bow,
began yesterday in the maverick style that is his trademark. He stayed
in bed.”
(‘Galloway sleeps on his victory after an incendiary campaign,’ Sam
Lister, Sean O'Neill and Giles Whittell, The Times, May 7, 2005)

The article concluded: “Asked what she thought of her new MP, one
drinker in the Coborn Arms opposite Respect's headquarters said: ‘I
want to move house.’"

The Guardian noted: “The most extraordinary result was secured by the
maverick former Labour MP George Galloway…” (‘London delivers bloody
nose as Galloway wins bitter fight, Hugh Muir, The Guardian, May 6,
2005)

Elsewhere, the media reflexively describe Galloway as “flamboyant” and
“controversial”, descriptions which express proper ridicule and
contempt for the “Rogue MP”. (The Sun, ‘Not a shred of remorse,’
Trevor Kavanagh, July 2, 2004)

The smears are repeated around the world. The Jerusalem Post notes:

"'This defeat is for Iraq. All the people you have killed, all the
lies you have told have come back to haunt you,' declared maverick
lawmaker George Galloway following his tight election victory... But
Galloway's electoral success has been met with alarm and disdain
across Britain." ('Galloway win causes alarm,' Yaakov Lappin,
Jerusalem Post, May 8, 2005)

In fact, right across the spectrum, “rogue” thinkers, politicians and
parties are relentlessly smeared and mocked by the elite media. The
effect is as inevitable as it is intended - to persuade the public to
revile and turn away from radical voices threatening established
privilege and power.

SUGGESTED ACTION

The goal of Media Lens is to promote rationality, compassion and
respect for others. When writing emails to journalists, we strongly
urge readers to maintain a polite, non-aggressive and non-abusive
tone.

Write to Jeremy Paxman, Newsnight presenter: Email:
jeremy.paxman at bbc.co.uk

Write to James Stephenson, Election Night Special editor: Email:
james.stephenson at bbc.co.uk

Write to Helen Boaden, BBC news director: Email:
helenboaden.complaints at bbc.co.uk

You may wish to consider lodging an official complaint (which
guarantees an answer): http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Please send copies of all emails to us at: editor at medialens.org

This is a free service. However, financial support is vital. Please
consider giving less to the corporate media and donating more to Media
Lens: http://www.medialens.org/donate.html

Visit the Media Lens website: http://www.medialens.org

To unsubscribe click on the link below:
http://www.medialens.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/medialens/mailproc/register.cgi?em=zakaryc@hotmail.com&act=un&at=2