[Marxism] re: A critique of the 2005 Left Forum

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Tue May 10 20:37:21 MDT 2005

"Many are and dont really feel any connection to leftist graduate
students. "

You missed what I'm saying. Not that no young people outside grad
schools are engaged *in* politics, but that no young people outside grad
schools are engaged *by* the academic left, broadly speaking on an
organizational-political level.

But besides that, I don't agree with the sentiment behind your statement
of "feeling no connection" with leftist grad students as some kind of
fixed rule, nor do I agree with the similar kind of contempt behind your
other statement, "All the young radical activist I know would never be
interested in going to such an event even if those academics pleaded and
begged them."

Such militantly workerist posturing has never moved things forward an
inch. Never ceases to amaze me how much Right ideology and attitudes
penetrates the "Left" : Basically, you end up with this snickering
contempt for existing leftists because they're often in the refugee camp
of academia, as if this is the cause and not the symptom of leftist
weakness. Ironic thing about this workerism, ie. doctrinaire Marxism, is
that it shares with anarchism a kind of anti-intellectual attitude that
insists on the uselessness of most analysis and the romanticization of
simply "going among the people."

This is an extremely ahistorical view. In the present period, we need
only look at Venezuela, where the leftist military elements are
radicalized in part because the junior officers enrolled in civilian
college courses and linked up with those eggheaded leftist professors
and intellectuals who helped supply them ideas and historical knowledge.
Conversely, what kind of results did all the attempts of leftist
grouplets to enter into the unions produce? Mainly, suicide and
self-implosion.

You start at where you are, not where you want to end up. Not all the
academics are useless. The field imposes its own set of limitations, but
above all it is the broader political climate which causes paralysis.
And you're seriously mistaken if you think that ideology - that is, the
battle over ideas - is not  a major part of the problem.