[Marxism] New York Times editorial: "A Single Standard for Terrorists"

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 20:43:59 MDT 2005

Walter: "Actually, you LOVE being picky."

I like to think I have an eye for detail. :-)

Seriously, I was not being picky for picky's sake, but because there's an
important point to be made. The New York Times editorial was not written
because they an opponent of Bush (or, at least, the Bush agenda), or even
particularly opposed to the actions of Luis Posada Carriles - if they were,
it wouldn't have taken them a month to run their first significant article
on this story, and they might have editorialized last year against the
absurdly lenient charges brought against Posada Carriles and his associates
in Panama, and their subsequent pardon and welcome into the United States,
none of which to my knowledge they had any opposition to. Rather, this
editorial is written in SUPPORT of the Bush agenda, "constructive criticism"
as it were, to let the Bush administration know that sacrificing this one
person may be essential for them to maintain the fictions that they are
maintaining, in this case first and foremost the fiction that the United
States is actually waging a "war on terror" rather than a "war to dominate
the Middle East and Central Asia". An agenda which the Times, like all
elements of the ruling class, is fully in support of, even if they may not
agree on all the tactics employed to further that agenda. And the Times is
letting Bush know that they'll have an easier time helping him further that
agenda if he helps maintain the absurd fiction that he has an "unwavering
moral clarity on the issue of harboring terrorists."

Eli Stephens
  Left I on the News
  http://lefti.blogspot.com