[Marxism] O, Dialectics!

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed May 11 06:47:08 MDT 2005

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:10 May 2005, a las 21:04

Fred Feldman:

> as long as there is US capitalism, there will be US imperialism

And as long as there is US imperialism, there will be US capitalism.

Perhaps this is a suitable introduction to:

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:10 May 2005, a las 21:04

Fred Feldman:

> The distinctive character of the antiwar demonstrations during
> Vietnam was not their narrowly single-issue or still less
> single-slogan character, but their FOCUS ON THE WAR.  The refusal
> to retreat from the fight to get the US rulers out of Vietnam,
> whether the retreat was to the liberal right or the "revolutionary"
> left.

I hope I don't incur in Mr. Rubinelli's rage (whose knowledge and
wisdom on class struggle at the railroads I always read with an
interest as great and delighted as deep and bitter are the
differences that separate us on other, certainly more substantial,
points).

But it might be useful to remember that this particular "single
issue" condensed _every other issue_ in the sense that the Viet Nam
war was _the ultimate imperialist war_ and that all the
contradictions of American society were carried to an unprecedented
level of tension by the fact of the war itself.  And that this was
the result of the national liberation character of the war as fought
on the Viet Namese side.

Thus, as seen from far away and somehow from outside (can you ever be
really "outside" US in Latin America, even in Cuba, today?), what
happened during the anti-Viet Nam war period in USA was that for a
single glorious moment all of the struggles against American
bourgeoisie and American establishment, which arose here and there as
threads in the air, were woven into a single, strong and hanging
rope, and that this kind of situations can certainly not appear
because some genius has imagined it.  In a sense, they were the
result of stubborn resistence by a proud and unbending semicolonial
people in Asia which put all of the progressive brains in America to
question the worthiness of everything they had been believing at
least since the end of World War II.  Would I surprise too many
people on this list, or lose too much money, if I put some bucks to
the idea that most of those who were anti-Viet Nam in, say, 1969,
were (or would have been) pro-imperialist liberals in 1959 or even
1964?

Thus, it is unfair to darken the individual contribution of those who
saw the trend first.  There was something in the wind, indeed.  But
some could smell it before others, and acted accordingly.  In my own
humble opinion they deserve respect for that.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Aparicio Saravia