[Marxism] O, Dialectics!

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 08:19:20 MDT 2005

I agree with that broad analysis, but surely we can dispense with the
language of 'dialectics'?

For instance, you describe the 'contradictions' of US society, but
contradictions involve two propositions which make one another impossible.
There aren't contradictions in reality, only conflicts, interfaces of
struggle and tension.

Actually, the fact that you do by and large dispense with 'dialectics' in
your analysis is suggestive.  Historical materialism has no need for the
'dialectic' which, at the most generous assessment, is a style of thought
rather than something to be 'deduced' (pace Engels) from reality...