[Marxism] Hmpf! Dialectics? Yes.

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Wed May 11 19:01:28 MDT 2005

I don't see how Marxist theory is possible without the concept of the
dialectic.  Dialectical logic, as Ilyenkov rigorously demonstrated, guides
all of the central analyses of Capital Vol. 1.   Marxist theory without the
dialectic is like a carriage without a horse although not the other way
around.    Marx's appropriation of dialectical logic and his use of it to
analyze the historical genesis of value didn't abandon the notion that
consciousness (not simply abstract objects of consciousness) is a social
product.  Once this is realized, the identity/equality problem disappears.
Ilyenkov and later Mikhailov (both available in the MIA archive) are two
excellent philosophers who have picked up Lenin's challenge to all marxists
to study Hegel's Logic, indicating that a full understanding of Capital was
impossible without such preparation.

Paul Dillon