[Marxism] EU referendum- what is the attitude of the Left?

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Wed May 11 20:52:11 MDT 2005

Brian,

This has been discussed to some depth in Leftist trainspotters.

In essence, the left in Europe is deeply divided on the issue. Attitudes
seem to be more regional than political, and even then a bit more
complicated than that. So unfortunately the best you can do is browse the
different websites of the different groups to get an idea of their
positions.

I can offer, for example, that the Scandinavian left in general opposes the
EU, with even left-Social Democrats opposing it, yet even there, it is not a
complete opposition.

One thing is completely true, it is one of the main points of focus of the
European left in general.

For me, watching from afar it is very interesting to see even within
organizations divergent lines emerge on the EU, even when there are
agreements in other points of program. It displays, in my opinion, a lack of
theoretical preparation to face this challenge even as the EU has been in
building since the 1950s... in other words, no one has yet hit the nail on
the head.

sks