[Marxism] Chinese President Meets Taiwanese Opposition Leader

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 12 09:10:45 MDT 2005

Walter wrote:
>Chinese President Meets Taiwanese Opposition Leader
>
>Hu Jintao and James Soong (Ap)Beijing, May 12 (Prensa Latina) The top leader
>of the Communist Party of China (CPC), Hu Jintao, welcomed Taiwan´s People
>First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong Thursday at the Great Hall of the
>People.

So is this supposed to be some kind of breakthrough for proletarian
internationalism when the CCP meets with the leader of a party that emerged
from the KMT and who proposes that the 2 parties reunite this year? Soong
was ousted from the Kuomintang after he decided to run for the 2000
presidential election on his own, rather than running with Kuomintang's
Lien Chan on a joint ticket. When the Chinese CP leader was asked about the
significance of a meeting with a long-time KMT'er, he replied "No matter
what he has said or done in the past, we are ready to talk with them on
development cross-strait relations and promotion of national reunification."

Taiwan has two dominant factions in the bourgeoisie. One favors
collaboration and possibly reunification with the mainland, while the other
favors independence and seems to orient to Japanese capitalism. In some
ways, this division reminds me of the division within Ukraine. The Western
faction of the Ukrainian capitalist class favored an orientation to Europe,
while the Eastern faction sought closer ties with the Kremlin and its
gaggle of billionaires.

Not very inspiring one way or another in my opinion.

--

www.marxmail.org