[Marxism] O, Dialectics!

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 10:01:16 MDT 2005

"How do you get around the claim that if you think there is something that
doesn't change , then you think that God exists?"

I don't, I just dismiss it as illogical nonsense.  First, it engages with
what I don't say (I never said that there was something that did not change,
only that not everything is always changing).  Second, it is not a valid
argument: because there may be something in the universe that never changes
(and this is a very real possibility) does not mean that it was created by a
supernatural being.

"we presume for the future that everything changes"

That may sound like a safe assumption for most ordinary experience, but what
if there are some levels at which things do not change - ie: stay exactly
the same?

And how do you get round the fact that ordinary language is enormously
better at describing and delineating change than the language of dialectical
materialism?