[Marxism] The British Nazi Obsession

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Thu May 12 15:16:24 MDT 2005

My take on this is a little different.

The emphasis is partly because British cities found themselves on the
front lines of the air war.  It takes a hell of a long time to get over
that. When I was in London, I saw evidence of the Blitz all over.  I can
only imagine what it's like to live some place alongside physical
evidence of your vulnerability.  American society would be a lot
healthier if we'd have that perspective.  Those of us who think about a
minor Civil War skirmish when we go to the mall, built where it took
place, are probably few and far between...

Then, too, the emphasis is generational.  The reunions and celebrations
are always larger in the wake of a major war, but it's just not noticed.
There was national coverage of the 50th anniversary of Gettysburg in
1913, largely because we knew that it was the last time the few thousand
survivors would be gathering.  By the time we reached a 70th anniversary
in 1933, there were only a handful, but the profile was high enough to
bring FDR there--lighting that flame of eternal peace (nice thought) at
the north end of the park.

I'm sure that other boomers are as a surprised as I am to see it, but
the generation that fought World War II is about gone.  And I, for one,
am going to feel less safe without their memories of both the threat of
fascism to civilization and the power of a mobilized society with a
focus (which this system has almost never captured without a war,
excepting perhaps the U.S. space program) ....

Finally, I don't think we should disparage the political shadow of the
war (as opposed to its realities)...a struggle against the ultimate
totalitarianism.

Solidarity!
Mark L.