[Marxism] Putin government and the USSR

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Thu May 12 21:57:21 MDT 2005

Micheal Karadjis wrote:

> From: "Marvin Gandall"

>> The Putin regime therefore seems to be enlisting the prestige and the
> social
>> model which the USSR represented to counter any lingering appeal for the
> US
>> system within Russia and its border states, especially among the young.

> Just curious as to how the 'US system' was different in any way to the
> 'system' Putin is running. One that creates millions of desperate poverty
> stricken people without jobs and welfare and also creates oodles of
> billionaires sounds much like the 'US system'
---------------------
I think you misunderstood. I never said or implied the US and Russian
systems are different. Both are capitalist. What I wrote was that Putin was
lately harkening back to THE USSR, which DID represent a different social
system, and that he was doing so not for reasons of nostalgia or ideology,
but for pragmatic and nationalist reasons related to the need to rein in
Russia's robber barons and to limit increasing US interference in the states
bordering Russia. The USSR serves as a convenient metaphor in pursuit of
these objectives, one which resonates strongly with a Russian public fed up
with 15 years of unregulated capitalist anarchy and a diminished role in
world affairs.

MG