[Marxism] Chinese President Meets Taiwanese Opposition Leader

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 00:12:14 MDT 2005

Life indeed is full of contradictions, surprises and changes so we
had better begin to get used to them. And the sooner the better.

There are good and bad, right in the same thing. I remember it
was that very mixture of good and bad contained in the same
thing that we all learned in George Novack's INTRODUCTION
TO THE LOGIC OF MARXISM. Multiple contradictions? Like in
real life? On a Marxism list? Yes, there are contradictions.

On a Marxism list it seems oddly "inappropriate" to deny the
progressive nature of a meeting of two Chinese forces whose
purpose is to block Washington's remilitarization plans for
Japan, though evidently not all participants on this Marxism
list agree.

On a Marxism list, furthermore, just because the Kuomintang
played a reactionary role in 1927, does that mean it cannot
attend a political meeting in 2005 and, FOR THAT MOMENT,
serve as an an obstacle to Washington's international goal
of subordinating the world to its will? Of course it can. That
doesn't make the Kuomintang a progressive force in today's
world, or yesterday's. Keep in mind that "A" is not always
the opposite of "not-A". Sometimes "A" and "not-A" can co-
exist in the same phenomenon at the same time.

China has evidently made a devil's bargain with the capitalist
system on a world scale. It has invited wide-scale investment
by foreign private companies. Social differentiation as well as
deep ecological problems have followed along with economic
growth more rapid than in any other country on the planet.
>From what I read, today's China bears a certain similarity to
that of Europe during the time of the industrial revolution.

During the era of the industrial revolution, skilled artisans
were thrown out of work and replaced by industrial factory
workers at lower salaries. Pollution was caused by industrial
exhaust. Life was made more cruel, nasty, brutish and short.
But progress for humanity took place through the industrial
development process. For some reason, this occurrence in
contemporary China is bothersome to some who describe
their philosophy as Marxist. The critics don't offer a better
alternative. They seem fairly content with China-bashing...

China's foreign policy today is radically different than and is
counterposed to Washington's. China has no troops in Iraq
and doesn't support Washington's war aims in that theater.
China has an active, friendly and supportive economic and
diplomatic relationship with Venezuela and Cuba. China is
actively trading with Cuba while Washington is trying to
block world commerce with Cuba. One could go on and on
about China in comparison with Washington, but the point
is clear. To reject all of this, as some would apparently do,
just because the historical remnants of the Kuomintang on
Taiwan had a friendly diplomatic and political meeting with
the Chinese government is, in a word, "inappropriate"...

Marxist-sounding complaints about experiences with foreign
investment have an all-too-familar ring. For example:

"To avert economic disaster, the Cuban government has
increasingly opened the country to imperialist investment
and instituted a series of “market reforms.” In the mid
1990s, the regime also legalized the holding and exchange
of U.S. currency, a “dollarization” which has led to sharp
and growing income differentials hitting women and black
Cubans the hardest. As part of our defense of the Cuban
Revolution, we fight for a workers political revolution to
oust the Stalinist bureaucracy in Havana and establish a
regime of workers democracy, based on the power of
workers councils, and revolutionary internationalism."
http://www.spartacist.org/ENGLISH/2003/Cuba805.htm

Chinese High-Ranking Official Arrives in Cuba

Havana, May 12 (Prensa Latina) President of the Political
Consulting Conference of the Chinese People, Jia Qiglin,
arrived Thursday on an official visit to Cuba, in order to
"intensify contacts, increase knowledge and promote
cooperation" between both countries.

The Chinese official arrived this afternoon at the Jose
Marti air terminal, where he was received by the president
and vice president of the People´s Power National Assembly
(Parliament), Ricardo Alarcon and Jaime Crombet, respectively.

In a message to the Cuban people, Jia highlighted that in
the last few decades the island achieved great advances in
the defense of national sovereignty, economic development
and improvement in the people´s standard of living.

This country was the first in Latin America to establish
diplomatic relations with China, Jia recalled. He said that
current bilateral trade and cooperation keep on widening in
several sectors with good results.

He affirmed his visit will serve to exchange criteria on
issues of common interest and to promote cooperation and
contacts between both nations.

During his stay in Cuba which will end next Sunday, the
high-ranking Chinese official will sustain talks with Cuban
leaders, among them Alarcon and vice president Carlos lage.

He will also meet with the Chinese community in Havana and
tour places of historic and touristic interest.

ef/jgll/rob

Walter Lippmann, CubaNews
http://www.walterlippmann
======================================
LOUIS PROYECT WROTE
Walter wrote:
>China remains an oppressed nation, regardless of its
>class nature.

But there are multiple contradictions. It is an oppressed
nation but the government is deeply complicit with its own
oppression. It has cut deals through the WTO, etc. that
results in super-exploitation. On a Marxism list, it seems
inappropriate to hail collaboration between the Chinese
government and the historic enemy of the Chinese working
class both on the mainland and on Taiwan. The KMT and all
its spawn is drenched in the blood of the working-class.