[Marxism] O, Dialectics!

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri May 13 13:29:20 MDT 2005

www.leninology.

"How do you get around the claim that if you think there is something that
doesn't change , then you think that God exists?"

I don't, I just dismiss it as illogical nonsense.  First, it engages with
what I don't say (I never said that there was something that did not change,

only that not everything is always changing).

^^^^^
CB: Such flippant dismissals suggest you aren't serious about the issues you
raise.

Dialecticians don't claim that everything is always changing. So, you aren't
arguing against dialectics.

^^^^^^

  Second, it is not a valid
argument: because there may be something in the universe that never changes
(and this is a very real possibility) does not mean that it was created by a

supernatural being.

^^^^^
CB: It would have one of the characterisics of God, eternally unchanging.

^^^^^

"we presume for the future that everything changes"

That may sound like a safe assumption for most ordinary experience, but what

if there are some levels at which things do not change - ie: stay exactly
the same?

^^^^^^
CB: Hasn't come into our experience yet. So, we proceed with life on the
presumption, rebuttable yes, that everything eventually changes.

^^^^

And how do you get round the fact that ordinary language is enormously
better at describing and delineating change than the language of dialectical

materialism?

^^^^^

CB: Dialectical materialists don't claim that dialectical materialism can't
be stated in ordinary language. Although, you will have to demonstrate,
rather than just baldly assert , that "ordinary language"  is so "enormously
better".