[Marxism] Poll: 37 percent approve gay marriage; 50 percent disapprove; 46 percent for civil unions

dwalters at marxists.org dwalters at marxists.org
Mon May 16 06:54:18 MDT 2005

I think it hasn't made much headway, only a little.

What I see is that Americans *overwhelminly* oppose gay marriage but are
willing to accept as a *compromise* the civil-union legal status.

When California which is acutally a *moderate* Democratic passed a ban on
recognition of gay marriages from out of state in 2000 it passed with 61% in
favor. I don't believe the polls (the only one I know of is from last year) has
changed at all.

I would say that in terms of gay rights, using a comparison witht the Civil
Rights movement, this around 1955 not 1965. Most people on this question are
still fairly bigoted.

David