[Marxism] Malvinas and their importance

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Mon May 16 09:30:43 MDT 2005

At 01:33 16/05/2005, Nestor wrote:
>We Argentineans are -wrongly, I think- known for a tendency to
>consider ourselves the navel of the world. Not this time around.  I
>understand Paddy's comments.  However, I wanted to simply give the
>South American (not British) point of view.  This is what I believe
>lists like this one are good for.
>
>What do you think, Paddy?

I think Nestor, that exactly that is the besetting sin of most Brits - or
rather the English.
  And certainly those in government refuse to realise that "we" no longer
rule the world !!

Only today there is Jack Straw (foreign secretary) demanding to have a say
in the affairs of
Uzbekistan.  Who the hell does he think he is?  Putin? (at least Putin
might be expected to
regard Uzbekistan is something akin to the way Blair and Straw regard Zimbabwe}

However, I think that even for Argentinians the Malvinas problem is rather
a side-issue compared to the overwhelming issue of current US (with GB as
side-kick) policies.

(incidentally, I like to quote in any discussion on THAT topic the item on
FALKAND ISLANDS in my copy of Le Petit Larousse Illustré (French encycopædia):

FALKAND, anc. Malouines, en esp. Malvinas, îsles de l'Atlantique, au sud
dee l'Argentine, occupés par l'Angleterre et revendiquées par l'Argentine;
2.230 h. Pêche de baleine. Victoire navale anglaise sur les Allemands (1914).

Paddy
http://apling.freeservers.com