[Marxism] On pedagogic colonization

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Mon May 16 14:34:12 MDT 2005

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:16 May 2005, a las 12:00

Paddy Apling explains:

> In practice, what the English (including the average worker) "knows"
> about the Argentine is that it is a country on the far side of the
> world, which in the past benefited from British (English? - no,
> rather Scots !!) enterprise, "such as the building of railways and
> factories for the preparation of corned beef" (for export to England),
> which has since suffered a succession of brutal (and often
> belligerent, e.g. the "unprovoked" invasion of the Falkland Islands)
> dictators, but  which has nevertheless produced some excellent
> football players.

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This, Paddy, is exactly the same stuff that is fed through the
throats of Argentineans by the media system, the "average knowledge"
that our people is officially allowed to have on their own land.  It
is actually astonishing to discover this described as the average
knowledge of the stuff that British workers are fed with.
Astonishing but not at all surprising.  This is all that "pedagogic
colonization", the mechanism by which the subjects are taught to see
the world with the eye of the master, is made of.

One of the sins of Peronism was that it taught Argentineans to view
things in a slightly different way between 1945 and 1955, and in a
completely different way through the work of people such as Arturo
Jauretche after the 1955 coup, during a cultural and political war
that required the 1976 crime to partly uproot.

But there still exist some hard-skulled Marxists around who remember
the teachings of our own democratic nationalists, and have been
beginning to bloom again.  Though the immediate belief of
Argentineans (mostly urbans or excluded, no "peasants" in this
country save for very minor exceptions) can be described the way you
described that of the British working class, there is a growing sense
that there's another truth lurking beneath this cover, and this sense
is the first step to unearth that truth.

> It would be interesting Nestor, to have your assessment of the latent
> understanding of the workers and peasants of the Argentine.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Aparicio Saravia