[Marxism] ISO: "For a Mass, Non-Exclusionary Antiwar Movement"

alan ginsberg aginsberg at lycos.com
Mon May 16 15:20:34 MDT 2005

Eli Stephens raised the issue of whether some supporters of a "non-exclusionary" movement do not wish to include ANSWER in such a movement.  Eli states that ANSWER has been building such a movement.

I'm not sure that Eli's characterization of ANSWER is correct. However, I sometimes get confused by the similarity of positions and slogans of ANSWER, the International Action Center(IAC)and the "U.S. Troops Out Now" coalition.

I specifically recall that IAC supported the 2004 "Open Letter from the Arab-American and Muslim Community to the US Anti-War Movement." I _think_ ANSWER took a similar position (but I might be wrong). The "Open Letter" stated in part:

"5. We call on our people everywhere to hold all organizations
accountable to the positions they take, especially those that
depict racist attitudes towards us, implicitly or otherwise,
particularly those that tokenize and objectify our struggle. Any
organization or movement that finds it acceptable to minimize or
disregard for political expediency the struggle of any people
should not be allowed to function within the global justice
movement.  Justice is neither selective, nor partial or conditional."

This paragraph was issued in the context of efforts by some anti-war forces to ignore or downplay the issue of Palestine.

Quite simply, IAC supported a call to prevent groups from functioning in the "global justice movement,"
if they disregarded the "struggle of any people."

This sounds exclusionary to me.

Again, I don't know for certain that ANSWER agreed with the IAC on this issue.

Does anyone what ANSWER's attitude was?

Also, does ANSWER still exist? In New York, its place seems to have been taken by "U.S. Troops Out Now."

alan