[Marxism] Unity Call from Troops Out Now Coalition

Greg Butterfield gregb at wwpublish.com
Tue May 17 06:58:59 MDT 2005

UNITY CALL TO THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT FROM TROOPS OUT NOW
COALITION

The Troops Out Now Coalition (TONC) wholeheartedly and
unreservedly joins the activists and groups who are
calling for a united mobilization against the war in the
fall. The absence of such unity amongst the anti-war
coalitions only serves to demoralize rank and file
anti-war activists and local forces across the country.
The grassroots of the movement are looking to those of us
who make decisions to put our differences aside in the
interests of the struggle to get the U.S. the hell out of
Iraq.

Achieving unity isn't easy but the power of unity is the
thing that will give everyone the confidence to do what
needs to be done. Moreover, the people of Iraq and
throughout the Middle East need the movement in this
country to unite. The whole world is looking to us to do
it. TONC welcomes the sentiments of all who have signed on
to the unity statement that is being circulated by USLAW.

TONC would add to that call that the movement needs to
reach out in a more serious way not only to trade
unionists that are active in the anti-war movement, but
also to working people and people of color. In the Million
Worker March Movement you have trade unionists that are
people of color at the helm.

These trade unionists are leading the way in helping to
bring the workers movement and the anti-war movement
together. Let us make sure that our appeal extends to them
as well as others including immigrants who are all too
often under-represented.

An important part of forging any meaningful unity will, of
necessity, require that the anti-war movement both
acknowledges and unites with the struggle of people of
color and the events that carry their message.

The call for a "Millions More March" on the tenth
anniversary of the "Million Man March" has gone out far
and wide. The Millions More March will extend over 3 days
next fall, October 14, 15 and 16, including a massive
march on Washington DC. It goes without saying that many
of us will be pre-occupied with this important
mobilization. This is something that needs to be
respected.

TONC believes that the time has come for all of us to
unite around the demand to bring the troops home
immediately. This in no way means that other demands
should not be put forth.

We absolutely must talk about the war budget and how it's
robbing workers and poor people.

We must talk about the prospect of the draft being
revived. We must find ways of reaching out to resisters
inside the military.

Moreover, we don't believe that uniting must mean
censoring, silencing or excluding the positions of those
who are participating in that unity.

The antiwar movement must not turn its back on the
Palestinian people and their struggle. In addition, the
position that the Iraqi people have a right to resist
occupation by whatever means they choose cannot be
censored or excluded.

We don't think that it helps us to make no mention of the
threats against Venezuela or Cuba or Iran or North Korea
and simply pretend that these problems don't exist. We
believe that the movement must address the ongoing
occupation of Haiti and Afghanistan; the imperialist
designs on Zimbabwe, the Philippines, Colombia and all the
peoples of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Caribbean and
Latin America. Others may have different priorities.

The anti-war movement must ensure that all oppressed
communities have an equal place at the table, where their
issues and concerns are represented.

Unity does not mean uniformity--the main thing is for the
basis of unity to be clear.

It's not necessary for us to ask of each other that we
forget neither our differences nor the unpleasantness of
past conflicts. All that is required is that we not let
any of that get in the way of joining hands to grasp the
opportunities that only unity makes possible.

There is a high road. On that road, questions are
answered, problems are solved and the means and methods
necessary to move forward are found.

Nothing is more important at this moment than for all to
walk together on the high road to unity. We believe that
what we all do will be decisive. We must and we can stop
the war and get every U.S. soldier out of Iraq.

It is up to all of us to do whatever is necessary for our
movement to rise to this challenge.

TONC is holding a regional meeting on June 11. A special
session of this meeting will be devoted to continuing the
discussion on unity and we will be extending invitations
to groups to participate in that discussion.

http://www.troopsoutnow.org