[Marxism] Treasurer on class analysis

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Tue May 17 07:47:51 MDT 2005

Anyone who works is a member of the working class?  The only problem is
defining what it means to work.  I especially like Marx's demonstration that
theives are actually productive workers insofar as they generate the need
for locks, prisons, police, etc. etc.  (in Theories of Surplus Value).
This, by extension, would make the big thieves (corporations) in themselves,
since they are juridically persons and also have the same effect,
productive labor.  But that doesn't illuminate their relationship to the
means of production, which was Marx's way of determining class, insofar as
he did that.

Paul Dillon