[Marxism] FLASH! "Cuban Militant Detained by U.S."

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 14:09:50 MDT 2005

This is why Fidel Castro has been speaking every night.
This is why the Cuban people marched in protest today.
This is what should have happened over a month ago.
This is a positive step in the right direction.
Now we must press on for extradition to Venezuela.

Walter Lippmann, CubaNews
http://www.walterlippmann.com

Cuban Militant Detained by U.S.
By ADRIAN SAINZ, Associated Press Writer
1 minute ago

Facing growing international pressure, federal immigration authorities
Tuesday detained a Cuban militant linked to a deadly 1976 airliner bombing
and other acts of anti-Fidel Castro violence who has been seeking asylum in
the United States.

Luis Posada Carriles, a former CIA operative and Venezuelan security
official, was detained by the Department of Homeland Security on Tuesday
afternoon, his friend and benefactor, Santiago Alvarez, told The Associated
Press. US. immigration and homeland security officials didn't immediately
comment.

Cuban President Fidel Castro's calls for Posada's arrest by U.S. authorities
was echoed by thousands in protests in Havana on Tuesday. Castro claims
Alvarez brought Posada to Miami from Mexico on a shrimp boat, but Posada
says he entered the United States through Mexico and came to Miami on a bus.

Earlier Tuesday, Posada told reporters he was willing to leave the United
States and his asylum request and go to another country, but he was detained
before he could leave, Alvarez said. Posada had planned to go to a Central
American country, Alvarez said. He would not say which country.

"There's no reason for them to detain him, but that's the part of the
process in this country," Alvarez said.

Posada, 77, is wanted by Venezuela for escaping from prison in 1985 while
awaiting a prosecutor's appeal of his second acquittal in the Cubana
Airlines bombing, which killed 73 people when it crashed near Barbados.
Recently declassified CIA and FBI documents quoted informants as linking
Posada with planning meetings for those bombings.

Venezuela recently approved a formal extradition request and Castro has made
numerous televised speeches calling Posada a terrorist and accusing the
United States of a double standard in the war on terror. The United States
and Venezuela have an extradition treaty.

"The majority of Americans would never be in favor of harboring a
terrorist," said Wayne Smith, a former U.S. envoy to Cuba who now heads the
Cuba program at the Washington-based Center for International Policy.

If the United States were to grant asylum, Smith added, "we will be seen as
hypocrites and as being against terrorism only when is suits our purposes."

Posada and three others were pardoned last August by Panama's then-president
for their role in an alleged assassination plot in 2000 against Castro
during a conference in Panama. Posada's whereabouts had been unknown until
he surfaced in Miami in March after entering the United States through
Mexico.

Posada was also connected to a series of 1997 bombings of tourists sites in
Cuba, one of which killed an Italian tourist. Posada refused to confirm or
deny involvement in those attacks, telling The Miami Herald in an interview
published Tuesday, "Let's leave it to history."

"I feel that I've committed many errors, more than most people," he said.
"But I've always believed in rebellion, in the armed struggle. I believe
more and more every day that we will triumph against Castro. Victory will be
ours."

Copyright C 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information
contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten
or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated
Press.