[Marxism] French Imperialism in Algeria Book Recommendation Request

gdunkel at mindspring.com gdunkel at mindspring.com
Tue May 17 18:19:33 MDT 2005

On 17 May 2005 at 13:20, Louis Proyect wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >Can anyone on the list possibly recommend a good book on the character of
> >French colonialism in Algeria and the history thereof? I am particularly
> >interested in the racist discourses generated both within Algerian settler
> >society and within France by the French colonisation of the country.
> >
> >Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> I am actually looking for the same thing myself, since I have volunteered to
> write a review of "Battle of Algiers" for a new Monthly Review website that
> is in the works. Will report back...

I bought "Algeria:1830-2000, A Short History" by Benjamin Stora because I
appreciated what he has written in French.  I think some of his politics
were toned down by Cornell University Press, but it is still the best book
I know of in English, written by a French scholar who was born in Algeria.

Three other books I have in my library:

	"The French Stake in Algeria, 1945-1962" by Tony Smith
	"A Savage War of Peace, Algeria 1954-1962" by Alistair Horne
	"The War without a Nmae" by John Talbot

The Talbot book has the most discussion of the role of the PCF (French
Communist Party), which was shameful and close to reactionary in many
aspects, even though many of its members participated heroically in the
struggle against this imperialist war.  At least one member of the PCF was
guilotined and one died in battle with the FLN, fighting against the French
army, while he was suspended from PCF membership because he supported
an independent Algeria.

Hope this list helps.

/greg