[Marxism] Re: [PEN-L] More Godel

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Tue May 17 21:17:05 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Holt" <rholt at planeteria.net>

> Perhaps.

Compelling argument you provide, and in fact it remains a "perhaps", either
way. Again, I retain my perception, but it is nothing but that, a mere
perception.

>But both the consistency and completeness of number theory is close to an
>article of faith for a materialist, because, for any particular problem,
>the real world is a model (because, among other reasons, the real world is
>ennumerable).

Actually, I think this is hegelian materialism. Diamat (again correct me
people!) actually seems to sustain that the world is *not* ennumerable,
hence they are not articles of faith but part of the dialectic.

I think someone here (cant remember who) compared the HUP with Completeness
in diamat terms, an analogy I digged a lot.

> And, it is on the borderline between the "realness" of the real world
> model and the undecidability of certain problems with ennumerable models
> that Turing gets most interesting.

In this we agree. Turing is more interesting, although I doubt Turing would
have existed without Godel (And others, including physicists like Einstein)

sks