[Marxism] New Left Hook Article on Newsweek/Koran Debacle

M. Junaid Alam mjunaidalam at msalam.net
Wed May 18 12:10:36 MDT 2005

  Special Release: Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Muslims Are Mad? Blame it on Newsweek!

Jared McBride

/“People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said…People are
dying. They are burning American flags. Our forces are in danger.”
- Pentagon Spokesman Larry Dirita ^1 /

While a great deal of left-wing press has focused on White House press
secretary Scott McClellan’s truly absurd comments regarding the Newsweek
scandal - "I think there's a certain journalistic standard that should
be met. In this instance it was not. The report has had serious
consequences. People have lost their lives.” - I believe the Dirita
quote raises the hypocrisy level of this scandal to new heights.

To briefly summarize the events to date: In the illegal detention center
known as Guantanamo Bay (or concentration camp, depending on how you
view it) located on the soil of another sovereign nation (Cuba), an
employee of the Pentagon or US soldier, while in the midst of a
interrogation of a prisoner, was reported by Newsweek to have flushed a
Koran, or part there of, down the toilet. The unknown source supposedly
got cold feet, and then Newsweek got colder feet, retracting their story
after coming under attack by the White House, Pentagon, and other
individuals and institutions which have been consistently responsible
for perpetrating war crimes.^2

- (Read full) <http://www.lefthook.org/Politics/McBride051805.html>