[Marxism] Is Venezuela Going Nuclear? Houston Chronicle

Peter McLaren mclaren at gseis.ucla.edu
Sun May 22 00:39:18 MDT 2005

I was waiting for something like this, and here it is.
Peter McLaren

[MacKinnon was press secretary to former Sen. Bob Dole. He is also a
former White House and Pentagon official, is married to a Venezuelan
and has been to the country a number of times.]

May 21, 2005, 6:48PM
OMINOUS QUESTION
Is Venezuela going nuclear?
Conversations with Iran give cause for concern
By DOUGLAS MACKINNON

The most prominent development in U.S.-Venezuelan relations these days
involves the case of Luis Posada Carriles and whether he should be
extradited from the United States to Venezuela. There he would stand
trial for a third time for his alleged involvement in the 1976 bombing
of a Cuban airliner. Meanwhile, a story with the potential to be much
more important is being ignored: The growing power and global ambitions
of Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez.

To the minute number of people who understand the threat Chavez poses
to the United States, his recent hosting in Caracas of Iranian
President Mohammad Khatami was disturbing enough. But a high-ranking
official for a Latin American government has disclosed to me details
about that visit that should send shock waves throughout our
government.

During a private meeting between Chavez and Khatami, I was told, Chavez
made it known to the Iranian leader that he would like to "introduce
nuclear elements into Venezuela." My contact said "nuclear elements"
meant "nuclear weapons."

Full Story in Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3192626