[Marxism] RESPECT direction after the election

Tony Hartin t.hartin at qmul.ac.uk
Sun May 22 08:50:59 MDT 2005

RESPECT had a big rally last Wednesday to celebrate the election
campaign results and to situate supporters for the immediate future.
You can find links to the speeches here
http://www.respectcoalition.org/?ite=783

The meeting was justifiably upbeat of course - particularly since it
came the day after Galloway's tour du force in Washington. By the way it
was reported that "tens of americans" had taken out membership in the 24
hours following Galloway's speech.

I was particularly happy to see that planned route forward is to take up
local issues and to fight on the ground for them. For instance New
Labour plans to remove a Bethnal Green fire engine in early June. A lot
of housing in the area is decrepit as is the wiring, and fires are not
uncommon. RESPECT intend to build a blockade to prevent the removal and
intend to start a housing campaign both in Tower Hamlets and in Newham.
The different forces within RESPECT seem agreed that this is the way
forward.. and I think is particularly important both for the real growth
of RESPECT and the counter the idea that change can come through parliament.

New Labour also seem to be ratcheting up the dirty tricks on Galloway.
There has been media almost every day on new "scandals". These smears
are outrageous. For instance RESPECT warned of postal vote and electoral
roll corruption by the Labour Party in Bethnal Green (and other places).
Now we see media insuinating that it was RESPECT that was behind the
corruption. Today it was some shoddy piece insinuating that Galloway is
somehow involved in US arms manufacture in Iraq. Apparently the defeated
New Labour candidate Oona King has been going round openly smirking that
there will be a bye-election soon.

Actually it would be the worst thing possible for New Labour. Like the
senate smear I think it would backfire in a big way.

Tony H