[Marxism] makes me wish I was back in school

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Tue May 24 02:49:54 MDT 2005

I hunted up the article. I wonder if any of the hysterical public
critics read it. The Wall Street Journal Online got indignant too, and
usd the same quotelets as the Daily News. The e-zine is one of art,
poetry and ... politics.
--rod

*fifteen credibility street*
Issue 19

Timothy Shortell
Religion & Morality: A Contradiction Explained

Durkheim observed that religion was the root of science. Religion, he
said, was the first human attempt to systematically explain the world.
Durkheim thought that religious rationality would wither away in modern
times (for him, the early twentieth century) because scientific
rationality would replace it, by virtue of its superior explanatory
power. Alas, he seems to have gotten this one wrong.

But, Durkheim was right about the social history of thought. Modern
religion is an elaboration of a fundamental belief in magic. In the
absence of a scientific explanation of events and institutions, faith in
magical powers, fetishization of nature, and overinterpretation of
random variation are inevitable. We live in a world that wants the
fruits of scientific labor, but refuses the mental discipline of
scientific rationality. Just like children, we want have our cake and to
eat it too.

Religions have persisted, despite their inability to explain the modern
world. As social organizations, they have a dramatic power that hides
their essential irrationality. They persist today because they are so
effective at constructing group identities and at setting up conflict
between the in- and out-groups. For all religions, there is an "us" and
a "them." All the ritual and the fellowship associated with religious
practice is just a means of continually emphasizing group boundaries and
hostility.

Just as Durkheim suggested for aboriginal religion, all modern
affiliations are ideological: they insist on a total (though
contradictory) system of beliefs and evaluations. For this reason,
religion without fanaticism is a logical impossibility. Anyone whose
mind is trapped inside such a mental prison will be susceptible to
extreme forms of hatred and violence. Faith is, by its very nature,
obsessive-compulsive. All religions foment their own kind of holy war.
(Those whose devotion is moderate are only cowardly fanatics.)

In a world in which individuals and events are controlled by magical
forces (symbolized by spirits, angels, ghosts, gods, etc.) fear will be
the equilibrium state. There is no way to understand how such a world
functions; one will be in awe of those who, through their
mystifications, appear to have a special understanding of supernatural
mechanics. Faith is, therefore, a child-like rationality.

It is no wonder, then, that those who are religious are incapable of
moral action, just as children are. To be moral requires that one accept
full responsibility for one's self. Morality is based on scientific
rationality. In order to act in the world as an adult, one must be able
to recognize that the world is structured and the situatedness of all
individual action. The choices that present themselves in the course of
day-to-day living are influenced by social forces (which is why we need
theory). Morality is a basis for making choices, in the context of a
particular political economy.

Faith, like superstition, prevents moral action. Those who fail to
understand how the world works--who, in place of an understanding of the
interaction between self and milieu, see only the saved and the damned,
demons and angels, miracles and curses--will be incapable of informed
choice. They will be unable to take responsibility for their actions
because they lack intellectual and emotional maturity.

On a personal level, religiosity is merely annoying--like bad taste.
This immaturity represents a significant social problem, however,
because religious adherents fail to recognize their limitations. So, in
the name of their faith, these moral retards are running around pointing
fingers and doing real harm to others. One only has to read the
newspaper to see the results of their handiwork. They discriminate,
exclude and belittle. They make a virtue of closed-mindedness and
virulent ignorance. They are an ugly, violent lot.

American Christians like to think that religious violence is a problem
only for other faiths. In the heart of every Christian, though, is a
tiny voice preaching self-righteousness, paranoia and hatred. Christians
claim that theirs is a faith based on love, but they'll just as soon
kill you. For your own good, of course. Those who believe that they are
acting out the divine plan are the most dangerous sort in the
contemporary world. Make no mistake.

Can there be any doubt that humanity would be better off without
religion? Everyone who appreciates the good, the true and the beautiful
has a duty to challenge this social poison at every opportunity. It is
not enough to be irreligious; we must use our critique to expose
religion for what it is: sanctimonious nonsense.