[Marxism] Fw: Support Puerto Rican Teachers!

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Tue May 24 21:52:44 MDT 2005

This is related to the discussions on the AFL-CIO as a vital part of the
workers movement.

I think the AFL-CIO needs the combination of local disaffiliations, rank and
file upsurge, and new unions coming into being in places where they refuse
to organize, to again become a force to be reckoned with, and not a
corporation that cares more about conventions in Hilton Hotels than class
struggle or even servicing their members.

Its bureaucracy is not only entrenched, but opposed to anything that smells
like democracy or challenges their hegemony. When they fight, they fight
dirty, and would rather see workers lose any representation, than having
them be represented by an union and leadership that stood up to them.

sks