[Marxism] Iraqi Resistance

paul bunyan cutemdown2003 at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 09:20:29 MDT 2005

Paddy Apling <e.c.apling at btinternet.com> wrote:
>Now first of all I wonder how Ramadani can be so sure there are no current
>Baathists among the resistance, a point to which I'll return. But consider
>these "former Baathists who denounced Saddam for 'surrendering' Iraq to the
>U.S.-led forces

With a membership of 3,000,000, prior to the US invasion, 25% of all Iraqis over the age of 16, were members of the Baathist party. I think it would be safe to assume that the majority were members as a condition of employment, and not because they supported Saddam's crimes and atrocities. That's a lot of people to write off. In several if not all of the countries occupied by Germany during the early 1940's, as a condition of employment in such areas as the post office, railroad, or telephone service, membership in the local Nazi party was a prerequisite for employment. Members of the resistance in those countries, were instructed by their leadership to hold their noses and join, because the resistance wanted it's members in those jobs. While admitting that this is not a perfect analogy, I think it would be a mistake to "write off" a quarter of the adult population in Iraq for merely being "paper members" of the Baathist party. On the other hands, those who committed crimes against
 the Iraqi people should have to answer for those crimes..