[Marxism] EU Vote in France

Greg Dunkel gdunkel at mindspring.com
Wed May 25 20:02:22 MDT 2005

Here is the URL of an article I wrote for the May 19 issue of Workers World:

http://www.workers.org/2005/world/french-workers-0526/

The first few paragraphs:

An important referendum on the new European Union constitution is set
for May 29 in France, the one country where the vote is too close to
call. Because of this the struggle in France over the referendum has
drawn Europe-wide attention.

In general, communist and far-left parties and most trade unions in
Europe oppose the new constitution, which must be approved by all 25
members of the EU before it can go into force.

The constitution would strengthen the central authority of the EU in
relation to its individual members, would increase the power of the
European-based monopolies against the working class in the individual
countries, would increase the police and repressive powers of the
European states, and would invest more money into the EU’s joint
military forces.

It would also strengthen Europe in its economic competition with the
United States. But it would do this by strengthening European capital
against the Euro pean working class. And it would weaken small farmers
while helping agribusiness.

PS: According to tonight's French TV news, it appears to many
politicians in France, like Bove. Bedsancourt and a PS senator, the
no-vote has the upper hand.

/greg