[Marxism] RE: Good news! UFPJ also calls antiwar protest for DC 9/24

Lueko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Thu May 26 04:51:23 MDT 2005

# Subject: [Marxism] RE:Good news! UFPJ also calls antiwar protest
for DC 9/24(reply to Joaquin)
# From: ffeldman at verizon.net
# Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:08:51 -0500 (CDT)

  Fred is completely right. UFPJ has made a big step which enables
antiwar forces to mobilize for "a" (becoming "the") anti-war
demonstration on September 24, 2005 in Washington, DC, and to mount
the political pressure to achieve a really united action.

> Joaquin is right that the two coalitions should unite on a common action, although he is wrong if he is suggesting that this is a precondition for antiwar forces to jump into building the biggest possbile turnout on September 24.  But such unity will clearly not come immediately and more irritating and troublesome clashes lie ahead. But this does not change the completely positive character of the opening we now confront.

  Especially the unity will not come just by calling for unity, but
by mobilizing for the demonstration on September 24. Most people, I
think, do not care about the differences between the two or three
coalitions calling for a demonstration in Washington. They will want
to demonstrate _their_ opposition to the war.

   Mobilizing people to demonstrated against the war on September 24
in Washington actually will put pressure on the organizing committes
to find some sort of unity.

> What is involved is not primarily sectarian principles -- liberal or leftist -- but also narrow-minded organizational rivalries.  Our criticisms of the division on this basis can be useful, but only if we start from the positive character of the calls to broad forces to gather against the Iraq war in Washington, D.C. on September 24.  Without that as the heart of our response, our criticisms are just another form of sectarian carping against those who are, after all, trying to do something about the war by their lights.

   Exactly.

   And a compromise could be that both callers (ANSWER and UFPJ) have
both their own starting rally, and start from there as feeder marches
for a common rally. Then there might even pop up a third or fourth
tendency with again their own starting rally and feeder march.

   The coming four months will tell if how unity can be achieved.

   At least it is much easier to achieve when only a few streets have
to be changed instead of the city or the date.

> We need to put forward the most important basis for what really will be, in spirit, a united show of opposition to the war.  This must be our starting points regardless of complications about which rally to go to, which coalition to participate in, whether broader united coalitions for both actions are possible in some circumstances and so on.
>
> That basis of unity is simply this:
>
> ALL OUT AGAINST THE US WAR ON IRAQ ON SEPTEMBER 24.

   I would amend this to read:

 ALL OUT AGAINST THE US WAR ON IRAQ ON SEPTEMBER 24 in Washington,
DC.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main