[Marxism] Appointment of Serial Abuser of Govt Employees

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Thu May 26 08:36:11 MDT 2005

Left wingers are often accused of supporting a "worse the better"
outlook. This would certainly be fitting for the appointment of John
Bolton. To this letter, of which I have only read extracts before, we
must add the well-documented account of Bolton's attempts to have
long-term dedicated government bureaucrats fired because they were,
above all, loyal to their department's policies and ipso facto loyal to
their government.

And what happens to their abuser. He is rewarded!!! From the point of
view of consistent supporters of capitalism, nothing can be more
damaging to their governmental system than Bush's appointments.

Brian Shannon
- - - - -

Dear Sir: [To the members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee]

I'm writing to urge you to consider blocking in committee the
nomination of John Bolton as ambassador to the UN.

In the late summer of 1994, I worked as the subcontracted leader of a
US AID project in Kyrgyzstan officially awarded to a HUB primary
contractor. My own employer was Black, Manafort, Stone & Kelly, and I
reported directly to Republican leader Charlie Black.

After months of incompetence, poor contract performance, inadequate
in-country funding, and a general lack of interest or support in our
work from the prime contractor, I was forced to make US AID officials
aware of the prime contractor's poor performance.

I flew from Kyrgyzstan to Moscow to meet with other Black Manafort
employees who were leading or subcontracted to other US AID projects.
While there, I met with US AID officials and expressed my concerns
about the project -- chief among them, the prime contractor's inability
to keep enough cash in country to allow us to pay bills, which directly
resulted in armed threats by Kyrgyz contractors to me and my staff.

Within hours of sending a letter to US AID officials outlining my
concerns, I met John Bolton, whom the prime contractor hired as legal
counsel to represent them to US AID. And, so, within hours of
dispatching that letter, my hell began.

Mr. Bolton proceeded to chase me through the halls of a Russian hotel
-- throwing things at me, shoving threatening letters under my door
and, generally, behaving like a madman. For nearly two weeks, while I
awaited fresh direction from my company and from US AID, John Bolton
hounded me in such an appalling way that I eventually retreated to my
hotel room and stayed there. Mr. Bolton, of course, then routinely
visited me there to pound on the door and shout threats.

When US AID asked me to return to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan in advance of
assuming leadership of a project in Kazakstan, I returned to my project
to find that John Bolton had proceeded me by two days. Why? To meet
with every other AID team leader as well as US foreign-service
officials in Bishkek, claiming that I was under investigation for
misuse of funds and likely was facing jail time. As US AID can confirm,
nothing was further from the truth.

He indicated to key employees of or contractors to State that, based on
his discussions with investigatory officials, I was headed for federal
prison and, if they refused to cooperate with either him or the prime
contractor's replacement team leader, they, too, would find themselves
the subjects of federal investigation. As a further aside, he made
unconscionable comments about my weight, my wardrobe and, with a couple
of team leaders, my sexuality, hinting that I was a lesbian (for the
record, I'm not).

When I resurfaced in Kyrgyzstan, I learned that he had done such a
convincing job of smearing me that it took me weeks -- with the direct
intervention of US AID officials -- to limit the damage. In fact, it
was only US AID's appoinment of me as a project leader in Almaty,
Kazakstan that largely put paid to the rumors Mr. Bolton maliciously
circulated.

As a maligned whistleblower, I've learned firsthand the lengths Mr.
Bolton will go to accomplish any goal he sets for himself. Truth flew
out the window. Decency flew out the window. In his bid to smear me and
promote the interests of his client, he went straight for the low road
and stayed there.

John Bolton put me through hell -- and he did everything he could to
intimidate, malign and threaten not just me, but anybody unwilling to
go along with his version of events. His behavior back in 1994 wasn't
just unforgivable, it was pathological.

I cannot believe that this is a man being seriously considered for any
diplomatic position, let alone such a critical posting to the UN.
Others you may call before your committee will be able to speak better
to his stated dislike for and objection to stated UN goals. I write you
to speak about the very character of the man.

It took me years to get over Mr. Bolton's actions in that Moscow hotel
in 1994, his intensely personal attacks and his shocking attempts to
malign my character.

I urge you from the bottom of my heart to use your ability to block Mr.
Bolton's nomination in committee.

Respectfully yours,

Melody Townsel
Dallas, TX 75208