[Marxism] Re: After Fallujah -- another rough beast slouches towards Baghdad

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu May 26 17:17:23 MDT 2005

Paul

it is certainly throwing down the gauntlet to the
Resistance.  Juan Cole has reported that the Iraqi forces
have been able to make gains on Haifa Street, which had been
something like a no-go area.

What seems to be happening and I am no military expert is
that the Americans and the government, and you describe them
accurately as Quislings, are trying to take on the resistance
in set pieces. This is really I think part of an effort to
get rid of the no-go zones.

They destroyed Fallujah in order to "save" it and it now
looks as if they are moving on to "save" the capital itself.
What the Americans seem to be doing is to try and employ the
strategy that worked so well in Afghanistan - Local troops
(basically non-Pashtun tribes) + American fire power pitched
against the enemy. But can they really use their airoplanes
in Baghdad? Certainly they will have contemplated doing
that.  We shall see.

In any case the next few weeks will mark I feel a decisive
phase.  Politically the election and the emrgence after three
months of a government has not helped the Imperialists all
that much. Militarily the Americans do not have enough troops
on the ground and cannot get more in there. That is of course
the material basis of their "Iraqificaiton" of the war
policy. We will also see now if the Shiite and Kurdish Army
and militias will play the role that the Indian Army did in
1920 and help to crush the resistance.

regards

Gary