[Marxism] [Fwd: For United Anti-War Action]]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 27 09:05:29 MDT 2005

Jon Flanders wrote:

> Just sent this message to both UFPJ and Troops Out Now
>
> The text was the same for both, just changed the group.
>
> Jon F
>
> [clip]

> At this critical juncture, the last thing we need is two dueling
> anti-war actions in Washington, DC.

Why does it make a difference. Whether there are 2 marches or 10 or one
on Sept. 24, as long as they all demand "Out Now" (whatever else they
demand), local organizing can be the same.

There is no political unity within the anti-war movement, and a neater
nominal agreement for Sept. 24 might well be more of a barrier than a
contribution to creating greater unity in the future.

This time around political discussion and debate must go on within the
larger anti-war movement itself rather than be confined within a few
'leninist' organizations. The degree of unity achieved by having demos
on the same day with different slogans and different starting points
offers a better basis for further development than would a paper unity
on the spot of ground we start on.

Carrol